Monday, January 19, 2009

Commentary and Prayer for our New President... Barack Obama

Okay, so he wasn't my pick... okay, so the other guy wasn't my pick either. But, what do we do now? We pray. I may not be thrilled over how the election has turned out, but I am hopeful. I am hopeful that the daunting task in such tumultuous times would bring a sense of urgency and awakening to the heart of president-elect Obama that he would seek God through Christ Jesus for divine wisdom in all the matters that concern our country and our world. Even if not my pick, it only benefits the country, and my family, if he is successful in the things and by the ways that matters most. We don't want him to be successful in any immoral endeavors and by praying for our president we are not approving choices that he may make that conflict directly with our biblical world view. What we are upholding, however, is the notion of Romans 13 that affirms God's sovereignty in appointing and deposing leaders and our privilege to be able to pray for God's guidance over these individuals in leadership. So without further ado... I pray.

"Father, in the name of Jesus, I ask that you be with and guide our new president. Let him enter this office with a resolve in his heart to honor You in a real and possibly different way than he ever has before. Let the weight of such an office bear upon him the urgency to "get it right" and what that truly means. Let him be wise enough to know the end of his means and to fully trust and rely upon You for that wisdom he needs. I ask that you protect him and his family and guard them watchfully. I trust that you steer the hearts of men to accomplish Your will, but I am also aware that men are allowed to make decisions that do not line up with Your will. With that in mind, I ask you to burn in his heart the desire to please You in all things. I thank You too, Father, that we live in such a place, such a country, that allows its people to freely chose who should govern us. Keep us from being ignorant... and please keep us from being stupid! Thank You for all things. My life is Your life and Your life is my life. In Christ I pray, amen...

No comments:

Post a Comment