Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Beyond the Stuff...

Stuff consumes our attention so severely that the thought of losing our stuff simply terrifies humanity.

What is stuff, though? Houses? Cars? Clothes? Boats? These things are really an extension of an image we want to uphold. We really want others to see our material things and think, "Man, that guy is successful!" Or, "Wow, they really have it together!" We place tremendous value on peoples' perception of who they think we are that we work slave and worship at the feet of the god Mammon. We forget completely the One true God that created the universe by breath. A little more impressive than a house...

There is a prayer that consumes my journal. Actually, there are two. I find myself often saturated in these prayers and I go to them very often. I found myself here again this morning.

First, and in no particular order of importance, is that I walk uprightly before the Lord. I'm consumed with this prayer and most of the time, looking at my life, this prayer seems to bounce off the ceiling. I prayed this morning that if God answers any of my prayers let it be this one. I asked Him to answer this prayer in such a way that a cosmic conversation happens. That God would take notice and say to those beings that worship around His throne, "Now there's one who 'gets it'! There's one who has forsaken this life even though he is surrounded by Mammon worshipers... he only bows his knee to Me." I want that conversation to take place ever before I hear Christ say, "Well done faithful servant! Enter!"

Beyond the stuff... this is all that matters. Beyond the stuff - that we are so consumed to pray to preserve - let us pray for an upright walk! We have a bit of responsibility in this prayer, however. We have to determine our walk to be such. We have to turn our worship from Mammon, repent and be God-worshipers. He gives us the power to be obedient, but we must obey.

The second prayer is for my children. I pray that they be saturated with the power of God's Spirit from today until forever when they stand bathed in His presence. This is a prayer beyond the stuff. If I'm requited to two requests to be granted in all my life, then these are it. Nothing is more important. Earning enough money to purchase Mammon's trinkets and losing time to teach my children the way of worship to God alone is the lost way... the way leading to destruction.

I don't think they allow boats on the lake of fire, do they? Then why work our life at the cost of stuff and lose that which is most dear?

The question has to be asked, "Are things (stuff) wrong?" No, of course not. But the pursuit of happiness can be when happiness is rooted in this world's system and they go from tools to sacrifices made to Mammon. We are appalled and our stomachs are turned when we read how Israel reduced itself to offering their own infant children in the fires to the god Moleck. But, we perhaps burn our children to Mammon every day in our pursuit of this life and it's stuff. We become too busy teaching them the importance of travel ball, vacations and the good life and do not instill in them the proper importance of worshiping in community where we are united by God's Spirit. We burn our children to Mammon, so go easy on the Israelites of pre-Babylon. We are the "Christians" of pre-judged America.

Find life beyond the stuff...

"If it's hard for a rich person to enter Heaven, then why do we work so hard to be rich?" - Todd Agnew


1 comment:

  1. Jeremy, I feel the same about my kids. I think if when you have your first child and you don't come to the realization of God's love something is wrong. I felt the exact same way when Bailey was born. I couldn't believe I was so blessed to have this wonderful child and then it hit me he truly was/is a gift from my father. The other realization that I came to one day was God loves my children more than I do. I know I know this seems like something that is obvious but it really wasn't at first b/c I had never loved anyone as much as I do Bailey. Sitting there holding him as a baby having all the worries, concerns, anxieties of new motherhood I knew whatever happened it would be ok b/c he was God's child just as I am. We are all in his hands and there truly is no greater love. Lisa

    ReplyDelete