Wednesday, March 4, 2009

New Civil Rights Violation In Birmingham

Friday I became aware of an incident that took place in my home of Birmingham, Alabama. When reading the story I was outraged and disenfranchised, but then I thought "why?" Don't I expect the world to be against such things as morality, sanctity of life, etc. Why would this disturb me? But, I think that it is the fact that this happened about 10 or so miles from where I work everyday. I expect this type of thing from cities like Boston, San Francisco, et al. But in the Bible Belt? In Birmingham? Aren't we conservative? Aren't we Bible thumping, pew jumping, Jesus loving, Devil shoving, blood bought, red-hot, soul redeeming, shoutin', screamin', over coming children of God? How could this happen here? Again?

Here's what happened in Birmingham .

I guess I was more disturbed that in my little sheltered mind these types of civil rights violations don't occur any more. Aren't we civilized now? We have the first black president elected by a large majority in office. Gone are the days of segregation. We are now progressive right? Freedom of expression and speech are established rights, right? So, I was disturbed that this group, "Survivors" could have their rights violated right in our very city.

I began a letter writing campaign to the city mayor, Larry Langford, three of his staff members. I wrote the governor of Alabama as well as our great state senator Richard Shelby (so far his office is the only office to acknowledge my emails).

We who believe in the sanctity of life for the unborn children of the world should expect a new civil rights battle. Do I think it will reach the atrocities of Birmingham circa 1950? Of course not. But, with President Obama's new appointment of Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to Secretary of Health and Human Services the pro-life fight is only going to get tougher. Although, not yet confirmed, she is on the fast track to being appointed. God help us all!

Pro-lifers get ready to go to jail! Get ready to have your inalienable rights defiled! Get ready to be the target of the new descrimination! But, by the strength of God we shall over come!

No comments:

Post a Comment