Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Nominal Christianity...


Sitting in the pews looking around at all the stained glass, there became a sense to me that this is all the church has become. The speaker then droned on and on about goodness and I was instantly reminded about Christ's response when called "good".
"Why are you calling me good? No one is good except for the Father," says Jesus.
Yet the minister droned on and on as though the concept of good could be attained. So, after the message and many affirming nods we - the congregation - plodded off to be "good".

My first stop was lunch. I ate much as usual for Sunday dining. I required many refills and, frankly, wore out the legs of my waitress. Nothing at the restaurant was quite right. The food was cool, the food was bland, the food simply was not to my liking. And being the good steward I am I demanded the kitchen staff redo the meal because I aim to get what I pay for. This seemed to perturb the waitress and I felt a bit snubbed for the remainder of the meal. So, upon my leaving I decided to teach her a good lesson, so instead of a tip I left her this good little tract about hell, damnation and fire for those who aren't good. I was sure that would keep her up at night pining over how rude she had been to me. I knew this was a good thing to do and the Word of God now in her hand would go much further for this waitress than my money. "She now is surely saved," I said to myself with a skip in my step.

My next stop where I would put the ministers message of goodness to work would be Tuesday at the voting booth. This is our good duty and in so doing I was sure to pick the candidate who would guarantee that the poor and helpless would be taken care of. Right? Isn't this a good thing to do? So I voted for the candidate with the greatest sense of helping the working man. At that precise moment, however, there was this slight tug and reminder that this candidate was openly for abortion and voted consistently on making it easier for teens to get abortions without notifying their parents, etc. "But, what about the economy?" I thought. It's in the tank after all and it would be good if our economy rebounded so the rich would pay their fair share and the poor wouldn't be so poor anymore. So my good vote was cast and my civil duty served.

"Good Master, what must I do...?"

The question posed to Christ was in an attempt to secure eternal life in one, resounding action that would echo his soul into eternity. But, what resulted was a decried attempt to circumvent Christ. And, if you look at Christ's response he actually told the young man what to do. "Go sell all that you have and give it to the poor and follow me."

Was this not the good deed that the seeker sought? What we humans want is to have our cake and eat it too. We want to live and thrive in this world and by it's systems, yet when we check out of this Temporary Plane we want to live and thrive in that Eternal Plane as well. Here we are wanting our cake...

Christianity has modernly become nominal - meaning in appearance only. Another term I've heard is stained glass Christianity. These both communicate the idea that people want to be Christian so as long as they can do whatever it is that they still want to do. This is no Christianity at all. The right to become Christian is only given to us by Christ and He has set the parameters. We - in coming to Christ - are not free to do whatever it is we like, it is actually the freedom to follow Christ. We freely forfeit our rights as fallen humans and then become defined in existence by His will- not ours.

In our feeble attempts to attain the "good" we miss the perfect. The Greek phrasing Christ used for "follow me" is the same phrasing He used to call the twelve disciples to Him. The phrasing is more than just a "here, boy... come on, here, boy," as one might call a dog to follow. It was a recognizable Hebrew call to come and be a disciple. It was a call to come and learn from the Master Rabbi. The young man might have been remembered for millenia to come as the thirteenth apostle, or the one who replaced Judas after his betrayal. But, in seeking the good... he missed the perfect... Christ. The ancient text says that the young man went away sorrowfully because many goods possessed him. And, yes, I said that correctly.

It is one thing to be involved in politics and to assert our political persuasions, but it is an altogether different thing to place those persuasions and policies above the founded truths of God's word. To pull for a politician, or any person for that matter, because he or she promises to fatten our pockets with money is chosing again to miss the perfect for the seemingly good. The temporary has replaced the eternal and there's no justifying this no matter the argument that is made.

We as Christians are first and foremost citizens of that Heavenly Plane. Those guidlines set forth by God's Word cannot be disregarded for culture's sake. When this is done we move from ipso facto Christianity to nominal Christianity. Which one do you suppose will stand? The stained glass we've painted or the stained cross from which he was hanged?

3 comments:

  1. Obviously your character has never worked food service ;) This is the first time I’ve heard this term “stain glass Christian,” but it does probably reflect much of contemporary church culture. I mean when you think of many of the churches that are “successful” in terms of membership/attendance and tithes/offerings you often see a watered-downed God is love-type message and that is where it ends. The preacher doesn’t preach a message of personal challenge to your commitment with Christ…pushing you to be a better follower. I mean when I was growing up in the church (and the following could be a reflection more on COGOP than church culture of the day) it seemed all that was ever talked about was securing one’s eternal destiny to avoid the flames (what a relationship with Christ can get you in the here-after). Now as I’m older, and I’ve been to many different churches and denominations, I find that these larger churches have swung the pendulum the other way and only talk about how a relationship with God is all about prospering you in the here-now. Whatever happened to serving God in the here now…not from a motive of hell avoidance or from a motive of help my situation now, but from a genuine love of Christ for his sacrifice and a desire for Christian service here…now…on earth, to advance His kingdom.

    I spect this latter part is for my benefit :) It is true that we see differently…politically…on some issues. As for your statement “It is one thing to be involved in politics and to assert our political persuasions, but it is an altogether different thing to place those persuasions and policies above the founded truths of God’s word.” This is inevitable if you participate in the political process at all…All parties violate some part of God’s law in some way or another…all sin (if you will) in some area. There is no such thing as a perfect political party…they all have greed, look out for their own interest, are corrupt, and are inventions of man…and honestly, what can man create which is wholly good? The best we can do is recognize that they all fall short…balance the good with the bad, prayerfully consider the options, and make an informed decision at the voting box. Unless maybe you DO think God belongs to a particular political party? Of course, American politics is largely theater with the power brokers pulling strings for their interests irrespective of the party in office, but I digress. Oh…and you keep talking about voting for a party because your pockets get lined with dough? What is that about? Are your pockets getting lined? If so, let me know how I can get on that train…son, I got more debt than you can shake a stick at…I mean grad school, med school (any idea how much that goes for nowadays…when she first started we had to fill out a financial aid form called the “eye opener”, lol), house…I could use some help if you know where to find it! :) Much love...R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought you might find this interesting...
    http://www.politicalcompass.org/index

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, said. We did sort of grow up with the notion that there was definitely sin and consequence. Doesn't seem so much so now speaking of mainstream Christianity. In some instances we were way too tough and needed adjusting there as well. It almost seems now we over adjusted, nothing is wrong and Hell is non-existent.

    And, correct. No political party is wholly good as no church is wholly good. My problem though, is our big issues such as abortion. That to me alone is a deal breaker. And in our equation of balancing the right and the wrong, I don't see anything that tips the scales in the other direction over this issue. That's mainly why I decided to abstain from voting altogether this past election. (I know... talk about sin.) "Lining the pockets" is a metaphor I use for exactly what you discussed... balancing the good and bad and deciding based on those calculations. People do tend to vote, though on economic issues being the most substantial piece of the pie in their calculations.

    Great comments again.

    ReplyDelete