Monday, June 8, 2009

The Day Before Your Last Day on Earth...


In our church men's group, we are going through John Ortberg's book study, "It All Goes Back in the Box." During the DVD portion of the study, Ortberg referenced a Talmud philosophy that says, "One should repent the day before his last day on Earth."

Then the anticipated question is asked, "How do you know when the day before your last day on Earth is?" The response is always. "To live everyday as though it is the day before your last day on Earth. Pretty smart response I should say.

But, it got me to thinking. What would I do if it truly were the day before my last day on Earth? Would I blog about the current administration? Would I update my FaceBook page to notify all my "friends" that I'm going to be checking out... well, maybe. The truth is I would spend as much time with my wife and children as I possibly could. Praying with them, instructing my children on how to really live life and what is truly important. I would tell them how much I love them and enjoyed being their father, and Pamela's husband.

Then, I come full circle back to the idea of the Talmud teaching. Shouldn't I do this everyday? This teaching or tradition shows exactly how quickly and easily we take life for granted. We live like we have all the time in the world here. It's a truly fascinating thought to think how one might live if this were the reality. If today, were really the day before my last day on Earth... I hope I wouldn't be on the computer typing away a bunch of nonsense. :) I better get home now and be with my family.

But, then my demented mind turns the thought a bit more... what if yesterday was the day before my last day on Earth? What if it's today that I'm going home? What opportunities did I miss out on yesterday? Did I treat my wife well? Was I more abrubpt with my children and less loving?

I learned a bit of Chinese wisdom from the movie Kung Fu Panda... the old turtle master tells the struggling fat panda - whom was just chosen as the unlikely Dragon Warrior - "The past is history; the future is a mystery, but today is a gift - that's why its called 'the Present.'" We should view and live everyday as a gift from the Giver and cherish each moment consciencly taking each opportunity to contribute to the Giver's Kingdom. Today is truly a gift.

3 comments:

  1. awesome thoughts....on a side note, we love kung fu panda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Joneses: Thanks for the comment! And, our kids are so into Kung Fu Panda right now. Which is a cool cartoon that I get to watch and not feel guilty that I love a cartoon so much. Jack Black is great in the movie... It's a movie that gives fat guys like me hope that we can become some great Dragon Warrior as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thoughts...it is hard to live every day as if it was your last when the events of life can be overwhelming. I especially appreciate the part about taking our time on Earth for granted. I feel like my entire life has been divided into 4-5 year chunks and I've always looked forward to finishing the present chunk so that I can get to the next one...especially starting in junior high (3 years), then high school (4 years), then college (4 years), then grad school (uh, hum...6 years:), and now Kristina's residency (4 years). It is easy to look forward to the next slice thinking that that is when my life will really start...that is when I'll get to do things my way. But the truth is life is happening now and if we are always forward thinking, then we'll miss it and wonder where it went. Tough, tough, stuff. Haven't seen Kung Fu Panda...Reid is just starting to get into watching movies, but I'll put it on the list.

    ReplyDelete