Monday, July 26, 2010

I Run Birmingham...

Last Thursday I thought I'd take a run on my lunch break. We are members of the YMCA (affectionately known as the "Y") but I didn't want to run indoors. At the last moment before getting into my truck and heading off to the "Y", I took off from my work parking lot and headed via jog toward the East, toward Birmingham.

I love the city. Not just any city, but this city in particular. From the parks in Highland, to the cafes of homewood and downtown. I love going down to five points and getting something to eat before the place is taken over by the bar dwellers of night. I bank downtown, I read downtown (love the Birmingham library) and now, as of Thursday, I run downtown. I run Birmingham.

I started my run over the First Avenue bridge next to old Sloss Furnace, the city skyscrapers stretched out before me. They seemed so distant, but with every pounding step they grew larger and larger until they loomed over me cooling me with their shadows from the noon time sun. I felt as though I was on an adveture of sorts, not knowing where I was going... just running.

As I ran though, as I often do, I prayed. A particular prayer began to creep up from my heart and into the mouth of my mind, "Can this city be saved?" As I began to pray this, I became overwhelmed at the task of serving the city in such a way that its residents would know Christ... that its businesses would know Christ. I began thinking of revival to the city that would have to come in Biblical proportions for the whole of it to be touched. Then I felt despair in thinking who could go? Who could undertake such a venture? Who could bring a sufficient crusade? Do crusades even work?

I ran down Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd, down to the public library, around the block, up 22nd Street and then left back on First Aveue away from the city. As I headed back over the long bridge, the city to my back and no longer in site, it struck me how out of sight out of mind we are in our churches and how we've retreated safely from the city to the suburbs. Oddly, my prayer had ceased as well no longer able to see the towering buildings.

Now, days later, I'm off to run in the comfort of my neighborhood with its well manicured lawns and parked bass boats and away from the homeless who sleep under Birmingham's bridges. I wonder if I'll pray for the salvations of my fellow suburb dwellers as well? Or will I simply pray for a bigger house? Then I wonder which prayer God will answer?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.4.8

No comments:

Post a Comment