Friday, October 29, 2010

Crazy Love by Francis Chan...


I just finished reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan.  I'll admit openly that I was reluctant to read any of Chan's books.  I unfairly lumped him in with the Emergent crowd of too-cool-for-school, hip new pastors that I aspire to be, and being how I don't like myself too much, I figured I wouldn't like him either (read that again, but now with sarcasm - I do like myself sometimes).  This couldn't have been a more wrong appraisal of Chan.  He is now one of my heroes and, as a side note, will be at Winterfest this year in March. (Heck yeah we're going!)

"Crazy Love" for me was crazy bad, but in a good way.  As with his other book, "Forgotten God," it was terribly difficult for me to read because it points out so easily how I've become a nominal Christian (something I'm allowing God to remedy at all costs).  At one point, hours after my allotted reading time for the day, I remember stating out loud to myself "to know this and to not change is to damn my own soul."  The temptation now is to forget having read this book and seeing the light that has broken the darkness of a spirit gone to sleep.  There's nothing more easy than being spiritually benign.

I've also realized that the lukewarm people of Revelation 3 were not in fact Christian people.  It is impossible to be lukewarm and to be Christian, which Chan drills home in page after page of examples of how we too have become lukewarm.  I don't want to be God's spit! I want to bring Him the most honor and glory that can be mustered by a Spirit led life.

I really do recommend everyone read this book who is serious about loving Jesus... really loving Jesus. I've got some changing to do...

2 comments:

  1. It's really worth the read IMO. Also, afterward be sure to read "Forgotten God" also by Francis Chan. It's my favorite of the two, but both are really, really great!

    ReplyDelete