Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rich Mullins Quote...

"Jesus said whatever you do to the least of these my brothers you’ve done it to me. And this is what I’ve come to think. That if I want to identify fully with Jesus Christ, who I claim to be my Savior and Lord, the best way that I can do that is to identify with the poor. This I know will go against the teachings of all the popular evangelical preachers. But they’re just wrong. They’re not bad, they’re just wrong. Christianity is not about building an absolutely secure little niche in the world where you can live with your perfect little wife and your perfect little children in a beautiful little house where you have no gays or minority groups anywhere near you. Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved and Jesus loved the poor and Jesus loved the broken..."     - Rich Mullins (October 21, 1955 – September 19, 1997)

The above quote was given just prior to Rich's death at a concert.  Leading up to his death, he lived on a Navajo Indian reservation in Tse Bonito, New Mexico in a hogan (traditional Native American hut built into the earth) and taught Navajo children music and Christ.  He gave all of the proceeds from his music sales to his church and charities and he was paid the national average salary at that time which was around $40k per year.  He gave millions of dollars away in his lifetime to the poor and needy.

To read a synopsis of his incredible life and testimony check out this article.

God let us be men and women who live and love like You.  Let us not be enamored with the world's system of living.  Let us live in this world as citizens of Heaven, knowing that with You is where our true treasures are being kept.  

Change me, oh God, by Your Spirit and convict me of all my sins so that I may repent and live my life to love You, Your people and to bring You glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment