Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cafe Latte, Inspiration and Being Busted By My Wife...

Whenever I can, I steal away at lunch to go to Forest Perk Coffee and study, read, write, think and drink $4.95 lattes... No one knows I'm there.  I'm free to escape work for an hour, plus it has great atmosphere conducive for studying and making many notes.

Not that I can afford this luxury daily, as my wife's text so lovingly reminded me today... while at Forest Perk. The place I thought no one knew where I was to, you know, "steal away" for a lunch time break.  It's one of my selfish indulgences.  Really it's no great thing or task, but if you add up $4.95 + $1.00 tip three times or so a week, which equals $17.85 per week and then multiply that times 52 weeks that would rack up a total of $928.20 a year. (Please don't tell my wife how that all adds up...)

I didn't tell her I was going; I just went... and while sitting there reading, studying and writing on Solomon's "Song of Songs," wrapped up in such a deep mind set of God's love for us through a pretty eyebrow raising portion of scripture, she apparently checked our bank account by chance and timing and saw a pending fee of $4.95 processing the instant I swiped my card at my little haven of refuge, Forest Perk.

Her text, and I quote,
"A latte are you serious? On a week when we are trying to save money?? ;)" (Please note the winky face at the end of her sentence...)
 My reply, and I quote,
"Lame..." (Please note the lack of winky face at the end of my reply... for being busted.)
Her reply back to me, and, yes, I quote again,
"True party boy" (Please note the sarcasm of her pointing my own snide "Lame..." remark back to me.)
By the way, the ";)" winky face from her texts always means she's just busting my chops and that is her sarcastic emoticon way to let me know that I've been caught or that she's one-upped my wit or something similar to her having the upper hand.  Either that or there is something in her eye at the time of typing the text.

I called her once my latte was finished and my mind and heart were rested from the pages of Solomon's wisdom and poetry.  My call was to then convince my loving wife that the Forest Perk Coffee shop was my source of inspiration in writing.  And, that, as I sat there with momentary writer's block, when I started sipping my $4.95 latte, inspiration began to stream to my pen, and in uncontrollable jerks of sense and reason began to, almost by itself, write page after page of commentary on Song of Songs 1:12 (something I might later share).  I told her that had I not gone to Forest Perk and not sipped the latte -- caramel non-fat, btw -- that the pages of my notebook would have remained empty and the world lost of the reason that flowed seamlessly onto the recycled paper of my $1.95 Target brand note pad (since we're putting a price on all things Jeremy now) which would have resulted in further waste of money having not written in the note pad we paid good money for already.

She listened patiently like a trained, seasoned mother to her children... yes, I'll admit that I'm a child and money grows on trees.  She then asked in a pleasant yet sarcastically thoughtful tone, "I wonder did the Apostle Paul have lattes to inspire his writings?"

Hmmmm....?  Excellent question.

I replied, "No, I don't think those were served in prison."  She agreed and said that from now on I should be inspired by the food of the Great Apostle for lunch... bread and water.

I was just glad and relieved that she finally noted my writing on par with the apostle's...

Now, what was it exactly that Paul had said about remaining on the corner of the roof top than in a house with a... what was that again?  Who knows!?  I just now will be off to work $4.95 worth of over time to compensate my budget busting. (Don't tell my wife, but it will really just be to pad my next week's budget.  I like to count my losses and just move forward.)

Thank God for stealing away at lunch to the getaway where no one knows I am but a debit card and a lovingly responsible wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment