Thursday, May 16, 2013

Life Is In the Details...

It's weird sometimes the day that stretches out before us. We completely expect one thing, then something totally unexpected turns us from the ordinary to the extraordinary, or perhaps the horrifying. A day can't be predicted no matter how many ordinary days have seemed to line up endlessly.
Life is weird like that. Each day a unique finger print taking us from where we were to where we should be. They don't seem any different than the one before but the subtle nuances that seemingly unfold before our very eyes, unnoticed, turn it into a completely new and different day than the one before. We complain about the monotony of our lives but it's just bc we've forgotten how to notice the little tiny details that make our days unique and important.

I want to pay better attention to those important details. For instance, Annsley, my daughter, asked me this week had I noticed how long her hair has grown. Sadly, I hadn't. But once she pointed it out to me it was apparent that it has grown much longer. Where was I while Repunzle was growing her locks to escape from this tower of childhood? I was probably worrying about some unimportant details of life, too wrapped up in those to notice this important detail. It's a shame how we live; so focused on the big picture that we miss the real life happening around us in real time. 

This moment right now is where our focus should be. Not eyeing the distant road sprawling out before us that we may never travel in the first place. I want to live here, in this moment, and then in the next so I don't miss my daughter's hair growing longer. I don't want to miss the growing tower of marker notches creeping up my sons' bedroom door frame; inch by inch until I measure my sons not by how tall they've grown but by how far away they have moved from us. They won't always live within our reach, and that doesn't happen over night.

Thank you Father in Christ for life, and help me to enjoy it and cherish it as you have given it to me. Help me not to wish it away with all my future planning to one day long to have it back.  You keep tomorrow... help me to live with you today in each now-noticed-moment of precious, fleeting life.

No comments:

Post a Comment