Friday, November 6, 2009

Staff Appreciation Day...

This past Sunday (11/01/09) my church "appreciated" us. Arguably, they've been appreciating us ever since we arrived five years ago this month.

Anytime someone makes a fuss over you - in a good way, that is - two thoughts are evoked. First, an overwhelming since of happiness comes over you. To stop and think that people care about you for doing what God has called you to do, causes me to go to that happy place in my heart.

Secondly, an overwhelming sense of embarrasment quickly rushes in because someone is making a fuss over you. The thought of being appreciated just overwhelms you with love and acceptance and thankfulness. But I can never get past the thoughts of, "Aw that's nice, but please... it's not necessary." But then the happiness rushes in again.

The week leading up to Staff Appreciation Day encouraged me especially. Every time I thought of the coming week I would just get happy. Happy isn't the greatest most explicitive adjective in the English language to use, but it's the one that comes to mind that expresses how I would feel. It's fun to be appreciated.

So then the embarrassment began...

One of our youth leaders (my right hand man), Aaron Griffin, went to the lectern and began to read some statements about Pamela and I. His comments - as is the nature of youth ministry - were very funny. The things that he said about our family were so unbelieveable it made me want to meet the family he was describing! He said a lot of nice things and I hope one day we live up to them all...

One of our adult youth leaders (my left hand man), Kenny Hand, then called us to come forward. He nervously began to explain what they had in store for us. Pamela and I will be married for 10 years this June, so the church is sending us to the Caribbean! They've paid for a full week cruise for just Pamela and myself. We couldn't believe it!

But the appreciation didn't stop there... Kenny then said that the church wanted to do something above and beyond the cruise, so they bought me a new laptop that I got to pick out all by myself! I've been wanting a laptop for years, but as saving money would have it... there was always something else to spend the "computer fund" on (typical of having four small children!).

The church also gave each of our children (did I mention we have four?) an envelope with twenty dollars a piece for them to have. The kids - especially Caleb our oldest - were astonished that the church gave them money! This spoke volumes to them of community and love from a church.

Pastor Daniel also sent Pamela and our Administrative Assistant, Letitia, a beautiful flower arrangement - I tried to claim Pamela's for her at first, but she beat me to the card! I understand he also had to send his wife, Benita flowers as well!

We are so blessed to have a loving church family. Pamela made an astute observation. She said that it speaks volumes of the church to give so extravagantly since we've been here for five years. Normally, the "honeymoon" stage of the staff/church relationship is where they kill you with kindness. Our church family is doing it well into the relationship.

I told Pamela on the way home from church that morning that "This is like Christmas!" She replied, "It's better than Christmas, because we actually get stuff!"

Even without the gifts, there has never been a week when I've not felt loved and appreciated by our church - and that's not something I say lightly. We - I - appreciate our church family and our pastor and our youth leaders for the love they continually show us! Here's to five more years...

Oh, and by the way, I'm blogging this at Barnes & Noble from the laptop the church gave me... Bah dah bah bah baaa... I'm loving it! (said to the McDonald's theme song...)

1 comment:

  1. Very Awesome! I LOVE church family!!!
    Hope you guys are having a good fall!!!

    ReplyDelete