Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Smiling Over Sequins...


She stitched the ream of sequins back onto the little girls dress up gown. The little girl, who only moments before, came running into the kitchen devastated that her pretty pink dress up gown had lost the ream of sequins that lined the little gown’s neck line.


After a few moments, “There you go,” the mother said with a grin of satisfaction as the little girl put the gown back on and pranced back to whatever kingdom she had momentarily left to go see the seamstress.

The mother went back to work in the kitchen doing the things that mothers do.

In the midst of her cleaning and washing cabinets and counter tops, the mother heard a faint inaudible whisper, “I saw that.”


Her heart sank a bit from sheer shock of the almost felt whisper in her heart. “You saw what?” she thought in reply.


“I saw you mend the dress,” was whispered back.


“You were paying attention to my sewing?” was all she could think back to the Whisperer. Then in a moment of bare, honest thought the mother’s mind wondered, “Don’t you have more important things to do than to watch me sew?”


“Don’t you have more important things to do than mend a torn dress up gown?”


The mother captured in thought, considered the question. Why did I take time to mend the dress? Why didn’t I just send a little girl along on her way and explain that the dress was torn and that’s just life? After all, I do have so much to do. Nothing would ever get done… then she stopped. She knew the answers before she could finish the silly line of questioning and reasoning to herself as to why she mended her daughter’s dress.


“Exactly,” was whispered back. “You underestimate how much I really care for you. I actually watched you pack a lunch this morning, and it made me smile when you made a smiley face with the honey for a little boy's lunch. I smiled again when I saw you wipe a spot off of your husband’s overcoat this morning without him knowing. You, actually, make me smile often.”


This was almost more than the mother could take. She hadn’t considered that the Whisperer paid attention to such things. Of course her Sunday school knowledge of the Almighty would suggest this to be true, but to have something so profound yet simple to be realized in a whisper went beyond her understanding.


Then He whispered to her again, “You made me smile sewing back on the sequins as well.”


Just then the thoughts the mother was contemplating were interrupted by a little girl who came running back into the kitchen… this time, her shoe was untied.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Jeremy! That is what I needed! Some times it is so easy to get caught up in the business of a day that I forget that the Whisperer is watching and always on hand for the smallest details when no one else notices. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Michelle! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that story made me cry! To think we make God smile when we do what He intended for us to do....love and care for each other.

    I think I'll try my best to remember this in 2010.

    Have an awesome New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I didn't meant to make you cry. :) Have a great 2010! Oh, and thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like this post!! Great idea and thought provoking, as well as encouraging! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it, glad it provoked you, glad it encouraged you...! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete